Spotify might hold the crown when it comes to music streaming, but TIDAL is a new service by the Scandinavian makers of WiMP HiFi, Aspiro, that aims to deliver high fidelity music streaming, HD music videos and curated editorial in the U.S and U.K.
TIDAL enters the streaming and subscription market that grew globally by 51.3% in 2013, and TIDAL’s owners have learnt from the growth of their Scandinavian Music offering, WiMP, to take on the dominant global brands of Spotify and Deezer.
“TIDAL reflects our mission to deliver the highest quality music streaming service,” says CEO Andy Chen, adding that “music deserves to take centre stage with quality at its heart”. No ambiguity then from this new entrant to the global streaming music market.
TIDAL promises high fidelity sound that trumps that of Spotify and iTunes
The brand look is stylish and understated, and the offering is promising:
- 25 million music tracks in lossless FLAC/ALAC CD quality
- More than 75,000HD music videos
- Tailor made editorial from experienced music journalists
- Dedicated apps for Android and iOS devices
- Web player for PC/MAC
- No Adverts
The new service, in addition to lossless streaming and HD videos aims to include some curated music editorial that includes:
- Album spotlights such as Album of The Week, Classical Album of the Month, and HiFi Album of The Month
- Playlists with a mission to educate, entertain and enrich the music experience via in-depth knowledge
- Close-ups on artists, labels, sub-genres and historical eras
- Weekly playlists that present highlights from this week’s news and top recommended tracks
- Weekly artist interviews, magazine features and daily magazine articles
If you have the equipment to take advantage of this type of service the £19.99 per month price tag will not be too off-putting. It’ll be launching ‘later this autumn’ but you can register early at www.tidalhifi.com. You can also follow TIDAL on Facebook and Twitter.[box]
Are you following Let’s Talk Tech?
Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ so you don’t miss our latest content![/box]